Visits to Gulangyu, Amoy - the birthplace of the Lodge.


Over the years there have been numerous visits to the island of Gulangyu to see the old Masonic Hall and the building that replaced it.  Here are a few pictures taken on those visits.

In this aerial shot of Gulangyu the recreation ground is highlighted in the yellow ellipse.  Just beyond this is the site of the old Masonic Hall.
Here is a closer shot of the recreation ground taken from Sunlight Rock.  The site of the old Masonic Hall is to the right of the recreation ground, behind the trees.
RWDGM R C Lee and Bro Chi Chung Lee's visit in 1979.
Looking north along the east wall.  (1995)
This is the ceiling in the original building. Note the wooden boss attached to the supporting structure - it's in the picture on the right.
The north end looking west.  (1995)
The new building from the southeast.  (2005)
The east wall.  (2005)
The northwest corner.  (2005)
The southwest corner.  (2005)
"Perfect Ashlar" from Corinthian's temple at Gulangyu Xiamen 1879 - 1999, rescued by W.Bro. Patrick Purnell-Ewards in October 1999.
"Rough Ashlar" from Corinthian's temple at Gulangyu Xiamen 1879 - 1999, rescued by W.Bro. Patrick Purnell-Ewards in October 1999.
The rocky outcrop is actually called Sunlight Rock and is the island's highest point.  It offers a stunning 360° view of the island and its surroundings - a 'must' on every tourist's travel itinerary.  The north end of the new building is on the left.
Looking at the east wall from the southeast.  (1995)
Similar view to the picture above: 1979.
Looking south along the east wall.  (1995)
As the plaque shows, this is the boss from the roof structure of the original building. During Lodge meetings it is placed on the WM's left.
This is the southeast corner of the original building. (1995)
The east side from outside the compound.  (1995)
The east end of what would have been the temple in the original building.  (2005)
The northeast corner.  (2005)
The west end.  (2005)